Level 2 Water-based (Aqua) exercise instructor Course
What does this qualification cover?
The Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing-Water based instructor (QCF) is regulated by Ofqual, all of the content is vocationally related to the role of a fitness instructor and comprises of the following:
4 mandatory units that total 14 credits and 98 GLH (guided learning hours):
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
Key topics/skills/knowledge covered:
- – the heart and circulatory system
- – the respiratory system
- – structure and function of the skeleton
- – musculoskeletal system
- – postural and core stability
- – the nervous system
- – energy systems and their relation to exercise
- – how to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- – the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- – how to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
Learners will develop the knowledge and skills needed to plan and instruct water-based
exercise sessions for (apparently-healthy) adults of all ages. This involves learning how
to deliver a variety of water-based exercise formats, understanding the range of
equipment available and designing sessions to suit a range of participants. They will also
learn how to provide effective support for clients who take part in exercise and physical
What could this qualification lead to?
Future employment possibilities
This qualification can lead to employment as an Aqua aerobics Instructor within the chosen discipline. Learners who complete this qualification are eligible to join the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) as a Level 2 member, specialising in their area of expertise. Potential roles at this level could include:
- ·Aqua aerobics instructor – delivering water-based aerobics sessions in shallow water pools
The above job roles are found in a range of settings:
- ·Health clubs
- ·Leisure centres/pools
- ·Community centres
Progression to further/higher level learning
This qualification provides progression to other qualifications/frameworks at the same and higher levels, for example:
- ·Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral
- ·Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
- ·YMCA Awards Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training and Instruction
- ·YMCA Awards Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training (Gym-based exercise)
Who supports this qualification?
This qualification is supported by REPs, (the Register of Exercise Professionals), an independent public register which recognises the qualifications and expertise of health-enhancing exercise instructors in the UK. One of their key functions is to provide a system of regulation for instructors and trainers to ensure that they meet the Health and Fitness Industry’s agreed National Occupational Standards.
To gain recognition by the Register of Exercise Professionals, instructors must provide evidence that they meet the National Occupational Standards that underpin the YMCA Awards Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (QCF). These standards are produced by Skills Active the Sector Skills Council for Active Leisure & Wellbeing, who represent the needs of the industry agreed by employers and other stakeholders. You can find out more about REPs here: http://www.exerciseregister.org/
This course is for fitness instructor or personal trainer who has an interest in becoming a qualified aqua aerobics instructor then this qualification is for you. Our water-based exercise instructor course will teach you all you need to know about planning and teaching effective exercise in water, and how to use the water to your advantage, This course will provide you with another alternative to personal training and teaching classes.
During your aqua instructor training course, you will learn a wide range of aqua aerobics knowledge and skills, including:
- Health and safety for aqua/water-based exercise
- Cardiovascular training and exercises in water
- Flexibility training and exercises in water
- Muscular strength and endurance (MSE) training and exercises in water
- Principles and benefits of aqua/water-based exercise
- How to design safe and effective aqua exercise sessions
- How to use the water to make your aqua classes and sessions more enjoyable and effective
- How to instruct, encourage and motivate groups of exercisers with aqua/water-based exercise
- How to use music effectively in aqua/water-based exercise sessions
With 2-days of practical instruction and approximately 4-6 weeks distance learning beforehand, this course provides even the busiest of fitness professional with an opportunity to become a qualified water-based exercise instructor.
Prior to attending your training course you will be required to complete a small range of ‘mini multi-choice’ assessment in our online-learning system- these assessments make sure that you are ready for your 2-day practical water-based exercise training dates.
During your training course you will also be required to complete a small range of worksheets and complete a plan for an aqua exercise session.
On the final day of your aqua course, you will be required to conduct a practical assessment where you will need to teach your planned water-based/aqua aerobics exercise session to your fellow students.